Skip to content
Graduate Program Director
General Information on Graduate Program
Important Dates for Current Graduate Students during Spring 2018
- January 12: students wishing to taking PhD qualifying exams during this semester must declare so to the Graduate Program Director during the first week of each semester.
- February 2: SCIS deadline for Doctoral Evidence Acquisition (DEA) Fellowship and Dissertation Year Fellowship (DYF) applications.
- February 9: UGS deadline for Doctoral Evidence Acquisition (DEA) Fellowship and Dissertation Year Fellowship (DYF) applications.
- February 9: deadline for Presidential Fellowship applications (for new students).
- March 9: last day to submit D5 if you are defending on the last day to hold the defense on March 30.
- March 9: all PhD students (except those with D5 on file) must submit their annual evaluations before spring break.
- March 30: last day to hold defense (if wishing to graduate in this semester).
- April 20: last day to submit final ETD approval form (if wishing to graduate in this semester).
Events for Current and Prospective Students during Spring 2018
- January 12: SCIS graduate programs open house, which takes place at 6:00 PM in ECS 241, is a new student orientation required for all incoming graduate students. Follow this link to register for the event.
- January 18: Engineering Graduate Program Retreat, for Junior and Senior students interested in graduate programs at FIU College of Engineering and Computing.
Coordinator of SCIS Seminar Series (2017-2018)
- 12/15/2017: Hava Siegelmann (DARPA), Computation In Nature And DARPA’s Lifelong Learning Machines
- 12/01/2017: Bonnie Dorr (Florida Institute for Human and Machine Cognition), IHMC Research: Natural Language Processing, Cyber Security, And Big Data
- 11/30/2017: David Martinez (MIT Lincoln Laboratory), Cyber Security Challenges And Opportunities
- 11/17/2017: Endadul Hoque (FIU SCIS), Automated Detection Of Specification Bugs In Network Protocol Implementations
- 11/03/2017: Umut Topkara (Bloomberg), Making Sense Of Twitter @Bloomberg
- 10/30/2017: Saket Navlakha (Salk Institute for Biological Studies and UCSD), Biological Solutions To Two Fundamental Computer Science Problems
- 10/27/2017: Yannis Phillis (Technical University of Crete, Greece), Climate Change And National Security
- 10/20/2017: Dilma Da Silva (Texas A&M), Edge Computing: How Low Will The Clouds Fall?
- 10/13/2017: Alan Willson (UCLA), How To Make A Better Direct Digital Frequency Synthesizer (DDFS)
- 10/11/2017: Paweł Śniatała (Poznan University of Technology, Poland)
Implantable Chips and A Current-Mode ΣΔ Modulator As A Part Of Such Systems
- 10/11/2017: Szymon Wilk (Poznan University of Technology, Poland), Using Reasoning Techniques To Personalize Of Clinical Practice Guidelines For Patients With Multi-Morbidities
- 10/06/2017: Alex Afanasyev (FIU SCIS), Named Data Networking Of Things
- 09/29/2017: Prabir Barooah (University of Florida), Robust Distributed Coordination Of Loads For Providing Virtual Energy
- 09/22/2017: Deng Pan (FIU SCIS), Traffic-Aware Placement Of Interdependent NFV Middleboxes In SDN Networks
- 08/25/2017: Selcuk Uluagac (FIU ECE), Securing Devices And Applications In The Internet Of Things And Cyber-Physical Systems Era